Wednesday, April 25, 2007

David and the 30 Big, Bad Goliaths

-André Jaquet –

When I first met Jason Jafta, a quiet, self-effacing young man from Prince Albert, I thought he looked like a serious, bookish type who would hesitate before crossing the road on a lazy Sunday afternoon. How wrong I was!

In fact, Jason is one of the top rugby referees in the country, who has won the Referee of the Year award in the South Western Districts for the past two years. He is now employed fulltime by the South African Rugby Board and is the youngest member on their referee panel.

In disbelief I ask Jason “Come on! You can’t be serious! How can a small guy like you keep control of 30 mean and nasty players when tempers get rough? Smiling, but with steel in his voice he replies: “Just try me! Because of my size, those who don’t know me try to shove me around at first, especially in big games like finals. In the first ten minutes, I stamp my authority on the game. The guys soon know I mean business. They see that having set my standards, I am consistent and that I am fair to both sides”.

“Also, I know the 22 important rules of rugby. And the 23rd, which is: Use your common sense. The players are trying hard to win, the adrenaline is pumping and players don’t see the game the way the ref does. The spectators are worked up and there could be a riot if you make a lousy decision”.
How did he reach the upper levels of the game? “I am mad about rugby and played half-back at school until Grade 10. I’ve always wanted to be involved. But rugby is a physical game and I just don’t have the right build. Now as a ref I really am fully involved where the action is. I started slowly by reffing soccer games but needed more excitement and I moved to rugby. I also love the travelling that is involved: going to new places and meeting new people.

Of course I owe a lot to my family and to the teachers at Hoërskool Zwartberg because they taught me a great deal about discipline and fairness and about being involved in life, not just a spectator.” Jason was Head Boy at the school in 2003.

What advice would he give to young people who are keen to become referees? “Enjoy the game: if the passion is not there, just stay out of the kitchen. Keep very fit because the hard work pays off”.

Finally, I ask him what his dream is. “I want to referee in some more finals, then in the Super 14 and Currie Cup competitions and then represent South Africa at Test level.” I have no doubt at all that this is one person whose dream will be fulfilled.

No comments: